Manitoba Market Prices Weekly Reports
Winnipeg Livestock Market Reports
Saskatchewan Sheep Development Board Prices
Ontario Stockyards Market Reports
Monthly Canadian Market Reports
Canadian Cooperative Wool Growers Market Report
Sheep Statistics in Canada 2012
Statistics Canada-Sheep Inventory
Statistics – July 2012
As of July 1, 2012, Manitoba’s sheep inventories were at 71,000 head – a 4% increase compared to the 68,000 sheep on farms in July, 2012. In 2012, lamb prices ranged from $0.97 to $2.64 lb. depending on the month and market weight.
Manitoba Sheep and Lamb (# head and lamb price)
|Sheep & Lamb, head||66,000||71,000||65,000||68,000||71,000|
|Lamb price, $/cwt||$1.18||$1.34||$1.59||$1.90||$1.62|
*July 1st inventory of sheep and lambs (Source: Statistics Canada)
*Price of 80 to 94 lb. lambs (Source: Manitoba Markets)
- There are approximately 525 sheep farms in Manitoba and Brandon is home to Canada’s largest sheep feedlot (40,000 lambs/year). The average farm size in Manitoba is between 50-100 sheep per farm.
- MB also house Canada’s largest intensive sheep operation (Sarto MB) producing about 5000 lambs a year.
- In Canada, 60% of the domestically consumed lambs are imported from New Zealand and Australia.
- The majority of Manitoba market lambs are shipped East or West due to high demand and better prices.
- The Winnipeg stockyard, Grunthal and Virden livestock auction marts, Heartland Livestock Sales, and a feedlot in Brandon are the major outlets for market lambs.
- The Manitoba sheep industry is starting to see new entrants with a better understanding of the sheep production business.
Manitoba Sheep Association
Erickson, MB R0J 0P0
Follow us on Facebook